Kids’ Oral Health
- The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment tells us that in our state, kids miss nearly eight million hours of school each year because of oral pain.
- It’s not surprising when you consider the most prevalent childhood disease in America is dental caries, or tooth decay.
Adults’ Oral Health
- Only ten percent of Americans have never had a cavity.
- One out of three Americans didn’t visit the dentist last year.
- Gum disease can lead to many overall health problems, including but not limited to: Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, stroke, heart attack, respiratory problems, osteoporosis, low-weight births, diabetes complications.
- Oral cancer claims nearly eight thousand American lives annually, and most patients don’t live past five years. Early detection and treatment shows an 80% better survival rate. More men than women have oral cancer.
- Fifty million Americans have no teeth.
- Seventy percent of tooth loss is caused by gum disease.
- When a missing tooth isn’t replaced, up to 20% of surrounding teeth will be lost within eight years.
- Twenty-five million Americans avoid the dentist because of phobia, stress, or anxiety.
Other Shocking Facts
~”Under the surface…are pockets of infection that contain billions of bacteria. If this oozing mess was out where it could be seen, it would be a bone-deep sore the size of the palms of both hands!” (Daniel Haney, AP Medical Director, 1998)
~”A new study of fatty deposits lodged in the carotid arteries of stroke suffers shows that 70% contain bacteria-and 40% of that bacteria comes from the mouth.” (USA Today, 1998)
~”Men with periodontal disease have a stronger propensity for cardiovascular disease than men without periodontal disease.” (J. Periodontol 1998: 69:841-850)
The Great News
- Oral diseases are completely preventable.
- Twice-a-year checkups and cleanings allow Dr. Radz to find and treat oral problems early, before they spread or cause significant health problems.
- Daily brushing and flossing will work wonders for your oral health.
Call Dr. Radz’s downtown Denver dental office today to reserve your checkup, consultation, or second-opinion visit. If you suffer from oral pain, headaches, or dental fear, Dr. Radz and our team of professionals will provide compassionate, effective care to improve your oral health and quality of life! We can’t wait to make you smile.