Bad breath (halitosis) is one of the least attractive oral health problems and can lead to embarrassment as well as be a sign of additional health problems. In fact, a large part of the reason people have bad breath is because they also suffer from gum disease. Unfortunately you can’t cure bad breath with gum, mints or mouth wash alone, more aggressive treatments must be sought out to rid your mouth of foul scents.
Bad breath is caused when the waste produced by bacteria in the mouth comes in contact with the air. Bad breath from gum disease is caused when the bacterial plaque that forms around the teeth is left to grow and contribute to bad scents. Most often bad breath is seen in people who exhibit the following:
- Poor dental hygiene practices such as inconsistent brushing and flossing
- People who find dental hygiene difficult such as children, the elderly, and the disabled
- People who smoke
- People who take certain medications that inhibit saliva flow or produce dry mouth
- People with certain medical conditions- Dr. Radz can help you determine if your condition is causing bad breath
- Poor diet can contribute to bad breath with foods such as diet soda, onions, spices, garlic, and coffee
- People who use oral appliances such as braces or dentures that can accumulate bacteria and are difficult to clean
Bad Breath Solutions
First and foremost proper dental hygiene will be the foundation to any bad breath problem. This includes brushing at least twice a day, flossing once a day, the use of an antiseptic mouthwash, and a tongue scraper. Combined these processes will work to effectively remove bacterial build-up and the associated scents.
If the above conservative treatments are ineffective at curing your bad breath then Dr. Radz can help by implementing a more professional breath kit that works to destroy odor producing compounds. To learn more about bad breath treatment or to schedule an appointment contact us today.